Tuesday, June 10, 2008

SOLDERING LINKS


SOLDERING LINKS
I slip the ring through the loop soldered on the back on the conchos. Close the ring so that there is no gap. Set the conchos on a fire brick so that the link hangs in free air over the edge of the brick with the joint away from the conchos.

I then cover the conchos with a solder pad. I do not want to heat the pre-polished conchos so I cover them with the solder pad.


I place a drop of liquid flux on the joint and heat it to evaporate the liquid. I then place a small solder chip on the joint.

I use a large tip on my acetylene torch. I heat the link joint from below. I use a solder pick to get the solder to flow across the joint.

I polish the link with my Foredom.

1 comment:

DWDesigns said...

Thank you for the detailed photos, showing step by step exactly how you do this type of soldering.

I've asked several people and have not received this much detail for an answer. your photos help me a lot, because I'm just beginning to solder my work.

your work is gorgeous. thanks again for sharing.
Mary